“What rights do I have when I’m shopping?”

Whether you buy goods from a large department store, supermarket, small corner shop or market stall you expect them to be:

What if the goods I buy don’t meet these standards?

There are many laws to protect consumers – for example:

So, for instance, if you buy a coat described as leather which is actually plastic, or a broom which breaks when you sweep the floor, or a video with poor picture quality, then – in most cases – if you act quickly, you will be entitled to have your money back or have the retailer replace or repair the item. What should I do if I want my money back or a replacement? If the goods you have bought are faulty, not as advertised or not fit for their purpose, you should: > Tell the retailer why you are dissatisfied as soon as possible and ask for a full refund or a replacement. If the retailer will not give you a refund you should:

If you are still not satisfied: Seek advice from your local Trading Standards Service or Citizens Advice Bureau.

What should I do if I am unhappy about something I have bought?

If you have simply changed your mind about something you have bought then you have no entitlement to a refund or exchange. However, many stores do have a policy of giving credit notes or exchanging or refunding unwanted purchases within a given time period. What if I don’t have a receipt? If goods you have bought are faulty you are still entitled to a refund even if you don’t have a receipt but can prove that you bought it from the retailer.You may have a cheque stub, bank statement or credit card statement, or the goods may be a brand that only that shop sells. NOTE: If you paid by credit card or on a finance agreement, see factsheet 5:

‘What rights do I have when buying on credit?’
What should I do if the price a retailer charges me is more than the advertised price?