WADHURST PARISH COUNCIL
DRAFT MINUTES OF A MEETING OF HIGHWAYS, TRANSPORT and LIGHTING COMMITTEE
HELD AT CARILLON COTTAGE, HIGH STREET, WADHURST – TUESDAY 6th MARCH, 2012 AT 7.30 P.M.
Present: Councillors Bell, Martel, Martin, Meredith-Hardy (chairman), Pearman and two members of the public
1. To receive apologies and reason for absence
2. To receive declarations of interests on items on the agenda
Cllr. Pearman arrived 7:32 p.m.
3. To approve the minutes of the meeting held 6th December, 2011
Approved with minor change.
4. To determine matters arising from the previous minutes
5. Public Forum – time limit 15 minutes
Helen Price, Speedwatch representative, reported that a group of 15/20 had expressed an interest in the scheme and a number of potential sites had been forwarded to the PCSO dealing. Following training it is hoped that, initially for a period of a week, members will be able to use the speed gun at agreed sites around the village.
A resident of Mayfield Lane advised members that a number of incidents involving speeding vehicles had occurred and that, without some form of speed reduction programme, he feared for the safety of residents. A number of options were discussed and it was agreed to incorporate a solution when the outcome of the county road safety event was available.
6. To report and review the following:
6.1 To review the snow plan
All agreed that the firemen had done a very good job in clearing a large area of paving but that confusion had been noted surrounding snow shovels. There are now two shovels at ‘Jackies’ and one with the chair of the WDBA. Gaps in pavement clearing needed to be identified and added to the plan. The possibility of funding more grit bins around the village was discussed and priorites for sites would be included at the SLR initiative. Cllr. Meredith-Hardy to forward requests for grit bin sites to the clerk.
6.2 To review progress regarding the Speed Watch initiative
See 5. above
6.3 To review progress regarding the Strengthening Local Relationship (SLR) initiative
Cllr. Meredith-Hardy advised that setting up the first meeting was proving difficult with matching working to non-working hours. The clerk was instructed to set up a meeting within the next few weeks.
7. Highway matters
7.1 To select contractor and approve costs for fingerpost replacement/maintenance
Discussion resolved that Heritage Finger Post Signs be awarded the maintenance contract and that costs of up to £3,000 be approved for the first tranche of repairs/maintenance. Cllr. Meredith-Hardy to provide the clerk with details of the first tranche.
7.2 To review progress regarding ESCC Road Safety event
Members learnt that the outcome of the ESCC High Street safety review is not now due until the end of March, 2012.
7.3 To note forthcoming works at Turners Green Road
Noted that work has commenced. Clerk instructed to chase progress on the 4th of April, 2012.
7.4 To consider request and make recommendations to full council regarding bicycle sheds
Discussion concluded that the best position for bicycle store/racks be in the centre of the village and that the existing facilities should be better advertised. The provision of additional areas and sites to be explored.
7.5 To discuss speed reduction schemes for Mayfield Lane
See 5. above
8. Transport matters
8.1 To discuss and suggest funding, if appropriate, of new community bus scheme and make recommendations to full council
Cllr. Meredith-Hardy advised members that additional information had become available which he would circulate to members.
8.2 To note bus service changes
9. Lighting matters
9.1 To consider specifying ‘dark sky’ friendly fixtures for future replacement streetlights
Members agreed that the idea of ‘dark sky’ friendly fixtures for future replacement streetlights was a good one and that the clerk be instructed to obtain details of costings and prices from County.
9.2 To arrange a streetlight inspection
Cllrs. Pearman and Martin agreed to complete a streetlight inspection.
9.3 To arrange for a working party to be established to review the requirement for extra lighting on the arterial roads
Discussion concluded that a number of areas were poorly lit. Resolved to add a new ‘heritage’ style lamp in The Walk/fire station area. Clerk instructed to proceed.
9.4 To consider response to ESCC request for streetlight requirements at Southfields, South View Road
Resolved that no additional streetlighting required at Southfields, South View Road.
9.5 To note increase in maintenance costs of 4.7% and warning of possible increase for electricity purchase of 10% (not yet finalised)
10. To consider maintenance/operating issues and improvements and authorise expenditure.
10.1 To agree content of article for Newsletter
‘Did you know?’, bike racks and ESCC fault reporting considered for inclusion.
11.1 To review spend to date
Reviewed. Resolved to transfer £7,000 from energy maintenance (4250) and £5,000 from repairs (4251) for earmarking as Highways Improvements special reserve and £1,000 from the snow fund (4237) for earmarking as Purchase of Grit Bins special reserve.
12. Urgent issues at the discretion of the Chairman for noting or inclusion on future agenda.
Clerk instructed to chase progress regarding streetlights remaining on during the day at the Primary School and Church Street.
The meeting closed at 9:27 p.m.